January 17, 2016

The Hickam Cabin

 
 
   In the fall of 1816, John Hickam, his wife, Christiana (Comer), and his large family arrived at Head's Fort on Moniteau Creek, about four miles north of Rocheport, Missouri, after a long journey from Washington County, Virginia. In the spring of 1817, they came to what is now Boone County, possibly settling first in Perche Bottom, and, around 1819, taking up residence near what is now known as Rock Bridge Memorial State Park, south of Columbia. Sometime in the 1820s or early 1830s, John built a log cabin on the northernmost boundary of an 80-acre tract, later owned by his son, Ezekiel Comer Hickam.
  In 1829, Ezekiel married Nancy Ann Sims, whose father, William Sims, came to Missouri from Kentucky in the early 1820s and purchased land near Cedar Creek. Ezekiel and his wife began their married life in the cabin. Extrapolating from birth dates, their first two children, Lycurgus and Lysander, may have been born there. 
   In 1848, John died. He passed on to his family 10,000 acres of land. His remains lie in the Bethel Hickam Cemetery on the south side of Columbia. In 1855, Lycurgus, and his sister Cornelia, helped found the Bethel (Missionary) Baptist Church at the same location. Lycurgus served as deacon and many of the Hickam family members rest in the cemetery there.
   There are some disputes about the cabin; does it stand in its original location, and is it, in fact, the original or a replica built in 1964? Due to its deteriorating condition, the Friends of Rock Bridge dismantled and rebuilt the cabin in 2014, giving it a new foundation, roof, and entrance door.

   From Columbia, head south on Highway 163. At the traffic light at the intersection of Route K and Highway 163, turn left onto Highway 163 S. Go about a mile and turn right at the first park entrance. Follow the road .3 miles and the Hickam Cabin will be on your left.

No comments:

Post a Comment